Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I guess I really like crop tops?

 I keep making them. They're a fast project, comfortable, and so cute for summer or going-out-to-party outfits.



Let's start with the silver top.

Every time I've tried to make something out of holographic foil fabrics that don't have spandex it doesn't work. These fabrics seemingly have stretch to them but it's not enough for anything that requires it, like leggings, or a tank top.

I recently tried to make some leggings out of this cool CD-like print fabric and it went horribly (as I should have expected). I really didn't want to waste more of it because I like it a lot, and I'm pretty tired of never making anything wearable out of fabrics like this.

Alright then, what can I do here. The key is obviously to just treat it like a fabric that has no stretch. I should have done this a long time ago. I decided on a trapeze crop top because it isn't very fitted anywhere. It still ended up a bit snug across the chest.



I put it together completely on the serger. Hey, finally something that seems to work for this fabric.




After making the top above, I decided to use the scraps from the men's tank in a previous post to make another crop top. I had talked about not knowing what to do with the fabric for myself and I didn't have much left at this point, so I think this was a good choice.




I used the same method of serging everything as on the other top made of this fabric. This has failed me a little bit because the bottom stretches enough to pop the hem stitches out of the side seams, meaning the hem is coming apart already. It's not really a big deal because the fabric doesn't fray, but it's kind of annoying. I tied off any thread ends that don't catch in other seams, but the hem does. You can see this in the bottom right corner of the photo above.



Despite the hem, I think this came out really well. The fit is great and with the distressed fabric, any little mistakes aren't obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment