Tuesday, September 23, 2014

I don't think I'm qualified to fly this broom.

The other day I was looking for a fabric in my stash and ran into this cool flocked organza that had completely slipped my mind. I promptly forgot what I was doing and made a skirt and hat for a witch costume. I'm going to a couple Halloween dance parties next month so this will get put to use soon at least.

The fabric is a transparent purple with black spiderwebs. I wanted the webs to pop so I used a fuchsia lining. The skirt is a circle skirt with the hem gathered to the lining to make it bubble. It has a spandex waistband.

You can see above that the outside layer is attached to the lining at top and bottom. It's only gathered on the bottom since it's a circle skirt. I've made bubble skirts that are gathered on both the top and bottom before and I'm not sure if I like this as much. I used a light synthetic knit for lining.

For the hat, I used this pattern (pdf) for a mini lolita witch hat but made it even smaller by setting it to print two pages on one. Making it smaller made it harder to put together, so the inside isn't as nice as it could be. It didn't help that I had to layer the spiderweb fabric on the fuchsia, interfacing, and black lining for the brim - so many tiny layers to shift around while sewing.

I ironed a bend into the point and added a bow because I thought it made the hat look a bit more interesting. The hat stays on with a hair comb sewn to the under side.

As a bit of a side note, I had so much trouble walking in these shoes. I've worn them before to go out dancing and been fine, but for some reason I just couldn't get it together this time. I think I've generally gotten worse at walking in tall shoes lately.

My other ride is a Honda Civic.

No comments:

Post a Comment