Monday, September 15, 2014

This fabric is a strange shade of brown.

I've had this awesome polka dot fabric for a long, long time. I bought a bunch of it thinking I would make some circle skirts for sale. It's synthetic, but made to mimic the texture of silk shantung. I think this makes the skirt easy to wear in both casual and semi-formal outfits.

The fabric looks great on both sides so I decided to make the skirt reversible. I also wanted it to be easy to fit (and reverse), so I made it a wrap skirt.






This is what the skirt looks like without a petticoat. It's a circle, but since it wraps it's technically a bit less full than that. I cut it as one panel so it's not broken up by seams on the reverse.


I did a narrow hem on the bottom and the sides. I wasn't sure about the reverse looking good with these, but it turns out I like the contrast hems and waistband on the dark brown side.


Originally, I wanted to do buttons on the waistband. Somehow none of the buttons I own matched (and I have many of course...). I even bought a mix bag of brown buttons hoping something would be the right color. Nope. This fabric is sort of a pinkish brown and every button I have is too golden. I was trying to figure it out for a while and eventually realized I could use snaps. I'm glad I thought of this because it also makes it super easy and comfortable to reverse (no bulky buttons on the side facing your body).


The skirt is available in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment