Thursday, January 8, 2015

Hello, kitty.

I've made quite a few of these faux fur hats with animal ears (foxes? cats? something pointy, for sure... except the bear one that is) but these are slightly different and I haven't posted in a while. It's super cold here now, which is pretty discouraging when it comes to going outside in skimpy dresses and skirts to take pictures of them.



The first hat is based on Hello Kitty (of course!) Because this fur is softer and silkier than the usual one I use for hats, I interlined it with some fleece before sewing in the lining. This means there is two layers of fleece and one layer of fur total, so it should be nice and warm. I originally made the ears with my usual pattern but they looked much too large with this shorter fur, so I had to shrink them down a bit. It was sort of a pain, but since this was a custom order I wanted to make sure it was what the customer wanted. (The hat is now available in my shop as well).


I normally have pompoms at the ends of this hat to tie under your chin, but the customer wasn't a big fan and asked for an alternative. I went with a button tab instead, and I really like it! There's two buttons on one side, and one button hole on the other, to allow for some adjustment.


The bow is not stuffed; it just looks poofy since it's made of fleece. I think it's the perfect Hello Kitty bow.





The tab is made of twill on one side and fleece on the other.


The second hat is more like the ones I've made before. Not much to say here. It's lined in fleece and has the usual big ears and pompoms. This fur is very long and luxurious feeling.








PS. I think this was the first time I had two Etsy orders at once, and even though I still get very little business, it was pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment