Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Victorian project - update 3

I'm sorry I haven't been updating as much as I promised myself I would. There's so many (sometimes odd) things going on lately that sometimes I feel like I'm in an Asian drama, though that may be because I was watching one a couple weeks ago.

I have made some progress on the Victorian costume, but it still has a long way to go. I don't know if I mentioned this before, but the deadline has moved to May 26th, so at least I don't have to get this done by the end of the week!
Tonight, I made a bustle pad of sorts (following these instructions) to help fill out the back of the costume.  This is pushing it to a different year, but I'm okay with that since it makes the bodice sit better.

Last week (or the week before maybe), I got the back pleats of the bodice taken in, overskirt figured out, and added a waist tape to the inside of the bodice. The bodice is much lighter with the smaller pleats and feels much nicer when on, though the lining still peeks out.

The overskirt isn't much like the original drawing anymore. I had tried to drape the front of it before but it wasn't working at all, so I took that apart and used the largest piece of fabric from it to drape this. I am planning to add a bow of sorts to the side where there is a space between front and back so it looks more intentional and less like I didn't have enough fabric. I have a bunch of this fabric left over still, I just didn't want to re-cut the piece, hence using the fabric from the original draping attempt.

Things that still need doing:
- bodice neckline insert
- bodice closure
- overskirt bow
- underskirt hem

It really doesn't seem like a lot when written out, but I am not really looking forward to any of these. I sense around a dozen hooks and eyes, and buttons in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment