Friday, July 4, 2014

"It is what a futuristic lego girl would wear"

I wanted to make an easy circle skirt out of this neon green vinyl, but when I tried it, it looked a bit too ridiculous even for my tastes. The vinyl was too stiff for the shape. I didn't want to just let it go to waste (there's not much you can do with a doughnut of vinyl) so I started thinking about how to use at least some of it.

The best idea I came up with was this - a stripe of the neon green attached to a softer fabric. By "softer fabric" I mean some thin pvc, which I of course have in my stash. I couldn't decide if I wanted to use black or white so I asked a friend and he chose white. (He's also responsible for the title... why am I so bad at titles?)






The skirt has a spandex waistband since that's more comfortable and much easier to work with than the pvc. I used a contrasting zig-zag to attach the waistband and stripe, and also for the hem. This was absolutely horrible to sew because of how sticky all the vinyl is. I don't have a rolling or teflon foot, and using tissue wasn't going to work because of the zig-zag, so I had the bright idea to use baby powder. Can you see where this is going?


There was baby powder EVERYWHERE. It worked very well though, so, success?

No comments:

Post a Comment