Saturday, October 25, 2014

"What is your favorite color of kitty?"

"Green"
"Sage or lime?"
"Sage"

Ah yes, the classic sage colored cat.


One of my friends always says he wants a kitty when I ask him what I should bring to his house or buy when I'm out shopping. His birthday is coming up, and since I can't bring him a real kitty, I thought I would sew one.

I spent a while looking for a cute kitty plush pattern or tutorial. I found a couple, but they weren't really the style I was looking for, or were too pricey for how simple they were. Eventually I came to this one on Etsy. It was sold out at the time, but the seller was great and re-listed it when I messaged her. This pattern is so cute! It's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, and it was only a couple bucks. If you want to try it, know that the instructions are in Japanese. Some parts took some figuring out, but it went together pretty well, especially considering I've never really made plush toys before.

For my kitty, I started by printing the pattern at 125% because it seemed a bit smaller than I wanted. The pattern suggests a woven fabric without stretch, but I wanted to use fleece, so I backed it with iron-on interfacing to add some structure. I stuffed it with poly-fil and embroidered the face instead of using fabric for the features. I completely spaced on adding the face before putting everything together, so you can see my thread ends, but I don't think it looks like an obvious mistake. I also used buttons for the eyes.


You can see how big it is based on my hand. It's about 6 inches long, and 6 inches tall.



I worked on this late into the night, as I tend to do, and when I went to take pictures of it later on I noticed the buttons were two different sizes and slightly different colors. Well, dang. You can kind of see this in the picture below:


At least it was an easy fix... except now I've stared at this cat so much I'm not sure I like the button eyes at all...


Ah, there we go. Just Photoshop those things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment