Thursday, August 21, 2014

"This looks like some kind of bacteria in a petri dish... and these are clearly pigs"

I see a lot of hippie wrap skirts in photos from music festivals and other such things, and they seem both cute and functional. They also look like a fairly easy project. Come on, wrap skirt? It doesn't even have to be an exact size!

I do my own tie-dying sometimes, so I feel like I'm cheating a bit here, but I used some cool batik fabric remnants I bought. The prints on them are flowers and bears (or bacteria and pigs if you ask one of my friends).






For the pattern, I traced an A-line mini skirt three times, one next to the other, to get a doughnut segment. I didn't want it to be as flared as a circle skirt would be, but I think next time I would just use a circle skirt pattern.



I cut the pockets out free-hand, and decided to gather the top and bottom. This was inspired by a skirt I own, and also marathoning "The Great British Sewing Bee." Someone on the show does this style of pocket and the judges point out how it allows for more room (well duh, that's a really good idea).


I originally cut the waistband as a straight strip and sewed it on very thoroughly, but this gaped so I had to cut it off. The next idea was to cut a curved waistband, which was better but still gaped. Buh. What? I stuck with this one, but added elastic to the "back" half. It's kind of silly to have elastic on a wrap skirt since it's supposed to be inherently adjustable, but this seemed to be the easiest solution at the time.



The skirt ended up being a lot more work than I thought it would be, but that's okay. I'm still not sure how to make a wrap skirt that fits me - the gaping waistband problem seems to happen every time. Am I shaped funny, or is this a problem everyone has? Not sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment