Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Oh no, it's been months!

I said I'd keep this up... I really want to, things have been pretty busy though. To make up for my lack of posts, here are some other costumes from Halloween. This isn't even half of all the ones I wore since I dressed up almost every day for work. I think it came to something like 36 costumes.

I was a couple characters from Alice in Wonderland, Alice being one of them. The dress isn't something I made specifically for Halloween - I've had it for a couple years now. I remember using a pattern, heavily altered though.

I didn't make any of these specifically to use in a clown costume either, but it all worked together pretty well. The no-sew tutu, leggings, and tank top with side gathers are all sewn by me, long sleeve shirt is some tie dye I did.

Funny story on this one - I purposefully didn't do full white clown makeup because I didn't want to scare anyone, and yet there was still a girl at the store I work in (probably around 13 years old) who could not look at me and had to close her eyes whenever I walked by.

There's something bittersweet about making things with the intention of destroying them. This was for a zombie schoolgirl outfit. I used a very large men's t-shirt for fabric, sewed a nice sailor top, then took a steak knife to it.

Not a very good photo, sorry, but I worked on a production of Othello over the summer and that put me in a bit of a Shakespearean mood. I made the hat (sort of like a beret), poet shirt (from a Simplicity pattern, altered as usual), and pants, though I originally made the pants for a ninja costume (for a themed party last year). I quite like this hat, too bad it's not really appropriate for everyday wear.

Here's some worn photos of the cape, skirt, and bow superhero costume from my last post. This wig helped inspire the color combo of the costume, and is just one of several I bought over the course of Halloween month. My wig collection is probably somewhere around 20 now... I don't really know. In any case, this one started out in pretty rough shape since I got it second hand. There's some hot glue around the back, and it had product applied to look like it was wet/stringy. I gave it a good bath and spent a while brushing it out, resulting in what you see here.

 Next we have a yukata. I've been wanting to make one for a while and never really got around to it because I couldn't find a fabric I could afford that looked appropriate. This one's not too bad. I tried to be fairly accurate in the sizing/construction, but was limited by time and patience mostly. At least it's the correct length for the fold at the waist. I was pretty lucky to find actual Japanese shoes where I work. The obi comes from my Sims cosplay.

And finally, another zombie costume. I only made the shirt here - it's from a themed party I went to last year. I had a pretty fun time destroying it with various sharp objects, coffee, tea, grass, asphalt, and some real blood when I cut my finger on a saw while ripping it up.

Well, that's all for now... I have been working on projects slowly but steadily, so hopefully I'll find a couple minutes once in a while to post something.

No comments:

Post a Comment