Saturday, December 20, 2014

How many times have I said I'm not making another hat?

Every time I make a new type of hat I tell myself, "never again." I've even started telling my friends to stop me. It's always a crazy fiddly mess.

No matter how many times I say it, I inevitably make another hat. Half way through this one my serger just quit. It was also my first time working with PUL fabric. Great!

One of my friends asked for a warm, waterproof winter hat and sent me a bunch of pictures of helmets (the armor type) and some knit hats. From that we came up with an actually technically possible design for a sewn knight helmet hat with a movable visor.

(I asked Bria to help model again since she was available)




For the pattern, I had a regular 4 piece fleece hat pattern, traced a band from an existing hat, and free-handed the top piece and visor. All the black fabric is PUL, and the red is a plain fleece. There's another layer of fleece sandwiched between the lining and outside layer for added warmth. If I were to make this hat again, I would skip this interlining.



The visor attaches with buttons so it can swivel up, or be buttoned out of the way in the opposite direction like so:


I stuffed the top piece with polyfill. This made it super difficult to sew on. I definitely need to find a better way to put the hat together if I have to make it again. 



The whole thing came out looking pretty good, though a bit too tight for the intended recipient. I think part of this is the extra bulk from the interlining and the PUL not being as stretchy as fleece on it's own. (The rest is me not being able to measure probably). I hope it stretches out with wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment